Saturday, September 30, 2006

Fish

So I have received another fish..again not gutted....I took a look at the fish and said "umm..I think I need someone to help me with this." good thing, as this fish isn't taken care of the same way as the first one. :) Thank goodness Joann and Lucy were able to come to the rescue.



Joann came over and asked if I had cardboard, we took out a box, spread it out on the floor, and Joann says "okay you're going to do this" we tried using a knife but it just didn't work the same way as the ulu. First, you have to scale the fish, and then cut the head off, and then cut down the middle to remove the guts.

I keep acquiring these fish and am very thankful for the meat, will have to master the skill of cleaning and cooking them though :) As Maat would say...I'm on my way to becoming an "Eskimo Woman". The fish was very slimy. :P All in all it wasn't bad, it was...an adventure :D

Yuck!! first time, I've seen fish eggs up close, they are so tiny. Joann laughed at me as I tried to clean the fish using a spoon--Need to stop being a pansy and just get dirty. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you always seem to come up with great pictures and i think this is one of the best. you cleaning a fish on your kitchen floor. haha i like it. so where do you get these fish? from reading i take it someones giving them to you. and how is your dog doing? last time i saw a picture of him he was just a puppy. well hope everythings going "chill" up there. later

Marie said...

lol--thanks for the comment :) Rocky is doing great; currently one of the stinkiest dogs you've ever met. The fish have been given to me by friends from the village or other teachers that have gone out.